Severe contrast enhancements: on 45% rule — and cats

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Axford
Contributing MemberPosts: 926
Like?
Another example
In reply to ilza, 9 months ago

Ilya,

Thank you for starting this thread - I have learnt a good deal from it.

I'd like to give an example of your method for handling saturation while changing the contrast applied to one of my images (as used originally in this article ).

The original image:

Case 1 (0% rule): Processed in RGB by using a tone curve to raise the shadows, but reduce overall contrast:

Unsharp mask has been used twice to increase local contrast and sharpen the image as otherwise it appears excessively flat)

Case 2 (45% rule): As above, but with the original's hue and a  45% blend of the original's saturation:

Sharpened in the same way as Case 1

Case 3 (100% rule): As Case 1, but with the original's hue and saturation:

Again, sharpened in the same way as Case 1

My personal preference is probably Case 3 for this particular example, but others may well have different opinions.

In case you want to try this for yourself, I'll repeat Ilya's method for doing this for the benefit of those who haven't been reading all the previous posts in this thread (the method should work in either GIMP or Photoshop):

1. Apply Layer - Duplicate Layer
  2. Apply Layer - Duplicate Layer (you now have 3 identical layers)
  3. Set the mode of the top layer to 'Saturation'
  4. Set the mode of the middle layer to 'Hue'
  5. Select the bottom layer and apply Curves to it (or any similar tools such as Levels or Brightness-Contrast).The actual curve I used in the example above is given in this article .
  6. Select the top layer and adjust the Opacity slider to your choice (0% gives Case 1, 45% gives Case 2 and 100% gives Case 3)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow