NickRno77
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
Re: Third party grip for D300?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 13, 2013

NickRno77 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Yeah, today, I received one of these 3rd party (totally no-name) battery grips from an Ebay store. See the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120978219063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

There are a few problems with this product and some good points as well:

1. The Ad says it comes with one AA holder, one EN-EL3 holder, and one EN-EL4 holder. The package did not include the EN-EL4 holder. Figures, that is the one I really need. So not I have to send it back to China.
  2. The overall construction seems OK. It is now as strongly built as the Nikon grip for my D200. There is a noticeable difference in build quality, as you might expect. It is not as if the thing will fall apart, but there is a difference.
  3. There is no weather seal around the opening to the battery compartment. On the other hand, I am not sure that my Genuine Nikon for the D200 has a weather seal. I need to check on that.
  4. The rubberized material on the grip looks and feels identical to that on the D300 itself.
  5. The lock lever on the vertical grip feels flimsy and not attached very well. I feel that one slight pump and that lever is gone, never to be seen again.
  6. The wheels on the grip have a nice positive feel. If only the lock lever where that well built.
  7. Here is the big one... The mount to the camera seems very flimsy. I fear tightening it too much for fear of stripping cheap metal gears. When it is tightened, there is lots of play in the tightening wheel. Some of this is also evident in my genuine Nikon grip for my D200.

Would I buy another one... Not a chance. Failing to include the EN-EL4 battery holder was the kiss of death for me and shows poor attention to detail. I hate to say this, because I am the frugal Photographer, but spend a little more and buy a better unit. However, not as much as the Guanine Nikon grips. That is simply too much.

So, the question begs answering, how do you tell a cheap fall apart grip from the strong one? Not a clue. Maybe someone else can answer that question. Because, it looks like I am in the market for another grip.

Comment about this Ebay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120978219063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I reported that the item shown and described in their Ebay ad is not the item shipped to my home. The ad shows 4 items:

• The grip
  • AA battery tray
  • EN-EL3 battery holder
  • EN-EL4 battery holder (described as "one Li-ion" holder)

In an email from the seller they said the product did not come with an EN-EL4 battery holder. Yes, believe it! So not only is their ad deceptive, but the seller flat out lies about what he is selling relative to what is being shown and described on his website.

I asked for a refund. We'll see where that goes. In the meantime, I am buying a genuine Nikon Battery grip. Lesson learned.

Looking at the item it doesn't say anything about a BL3 being included although it does show a photo of one. Did you ask him to send you the missing BL3 or did you just give him negative feed back? Most ebay sellers would have given you a refund for the BL3 or sent you the BL3 rather than getting bad feed back.

I've just ordered this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330894690736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

it states it comes with a BL3, now I'm worried because it doesn't say anything about a EN-EL3 holder being included. Oopsss

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Yes, I did ask the seller to send me the missing BL3. The seller has not responded yet.  Ebay asked me to wait until 15th July before taking additional action.  No, I have not posted any feedback, yet.  I have sent several emails to the seller, with no response.  Today I will warn the seller I will post a detailed negative feed back if I have not heard from them by 15 July.

I looked at the link. These things all look alike. As such, mine looks just like it. Like the product I purchase, this ad also shows items while failing to list in writing other items, supposedly included in the sale.  Looks like a tactic.

I currently looking for a nice used genuine Nikon MB-D10. I am tired of dealing with these cheap and flimsy off shore products.  But at the same time, if you can fine a good one, you cannot beat the price of the Chinese knock-off products. Like the one you are looking at. I've seen others similar products on Ebay where they perfectly copy the colors and style of the Nikon packaging.  Nikon cannot be happy with that.

Having shopped in eBay for quite some time and purchased quite s lot of third party copied items like this I sort of expect this.

I sent this.
Dear link-delight-na,

Hi I've just purchased this item, can you tell me if an EN-EL3e battery tray is included?

Thanks
----------
And got this reply:-
Dear nick

Thanks for your contact.
The item include :
Battery Grip for Nikon D300 D700 x1
Battery Holder for 8 AA batteries x1
Battery Cover for Nikon BL-3 x1

Hope you would like it.

Feel free to contact us if you have any problem.
Best regards
Liz
2013 Linkdelight
-----------
So now I'm none the wiser lol

I'll wait and see what I get, if I don't get the EL3e battery tray ill try and buy one seperately or just use AA's which I intended to do anyway.

If you end up keeping the Chinese grip and still want a BL3 try this:- http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180948039921

Good Luck

-- hide signature --

Nick -

NickRno77's gear list:NickRno77's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow