Senior MemberPosts: 9,451Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to sean lancaster, Jul 13, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

King Redshirt wrote:

Xpro-1 is a well made machine... but...contrast detection... no thanks....

Xpro-2........... if it has phase detection and weather sealing, and a few more lenses... thats gonna start some serious discussions about the future of canikon...

I love lots about FUJI, just no comparable offerings/support....yet... Maybe one day we will be talkin about SONJI !!

SO why exactly do I keep hearing the statement that Canon has better lenses?

I thought the nikkor 24-70 and 14-24 were pretty good.. what makes the offerings from canon better...?

Canon 24-70L/2.8 II is much better than Nikon counterpart 24-70G/2.8.

go down the page on the link below to see how it compared to Nikon counterpart on D800/D3X. 5D3+24-70L II beats D800+24-70G according to DXOMark's test, especially at edges/corners and much less LoCA.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-EF24-70mm-f-2.8L-II-USM-A-Peerless-Performer/Comparisons

The Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD looks better than the Nikon counterpart. And maybe I am viewing it wrong, but it also looks better than the Canon (I viewed the Tamron as tested on the D800 so that might have skewed results versus the Canon equivalent).

Okay, digging deeper, Roger Cicala at lensrental finds the same thing. . . that the Tamron on the D800 is better than any 24-70 on the Canon, but that the Canon 24-70 II is better than the Tamron when both tested on Canon. Still, it's easy to claim from these results that Canon has a better lens than Nikon . . . I just wouldn't choose Canon over Nikon for this lens, for example. Now, I went for the 50/1.2L and I did choose Canon over Nikon for this lens.

Sorry but this is not what I see in DXOMark, so let's check closely

18 vs 17 vs 15 mpix. I see 24-70L II despite 14mp deficit between 5D3 and D800 beats both Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC and Nikon 24-70G/2.8 clearly. When Canon rumored 46mp high MP camera released, this lens will resolve noticeable more. Canon copy is noticebly beter in edges/corners than both Tamron and Nikon copies.

24-70L II+5D3 vs Tamron 24-70 VC+D800 vs Nikon 24-70G+D800

From the link you just provided, though, is this overall DxOMark score . . . Which certainly doesn't take into account some future Canon camera:

DXOMark summarized or overall scores are pretty subjective such as it rated Nikon DX sensors in D7100 and D5200 higher than 5D3 and 5D2 so that means D7100/D5200 take better photos than 5D3 and 5D2? Absolutely not. If we check actually measured data (that I only care), 5D2/5D3 are better in those critical areas - SNR, Total Range, Color Sensitivity. What Nikon DX sensors are better are only in shadow DR that DXOMark gave heavily overweighed. Again you'd have to expose heavily ETTL to leverage. But due to DX poorer SNR, already noisy shadow areas are much worse after pushing so that greatly limit its usage. But we know sensors don't take photos alone but must together with lenses. Now if we check system resolution, 5D2/5D3 beat Nikon DX systems hands down. When respective photos viewed at the same full size, 5D2/5D3 win easily over any APS-C/DX cameras with respective comparable lenses, that ultimately matters.

I guess the point I was making is that the Canon lens is better than the Nikon, but so is the Tamron lens.

Yes at this moment both Canon and Tamron 24-70/2.8 copies are better than Nikon copy.

If a person buys the Nikon D800E and adds the Tamron lens then they'd be getting a pretty good combo.

Absolutely. However Tamron copy has a fatal issue that is relative slow in AI-Servo mode, so a showstopper in sports and action photos from this lens. It's also still relative soft at f2.8 wide open at edges especially at 70mm side.

If a person buys the Canon 6D (or 5DIII) and adds the Canon lens then I'd say the same thing. Both systems have good lens options for a fast 24-70 zoom.

Yes.

If you move the Tamron to the Canon system it drops, unfortunately. But if you test it on the 6D and the Canon on the 6D, they're very close (the 5DIII doesn't have the Tamron as an option).

Not fully understand what means 'the 5DIII doesn't have the Tamron as an option'?  Hope DXOMark added 6D into its test.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow