Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 15,978
Like?
Re: John
In reply to Barry Stewart, Jul 12, 2013

Barry Stewart wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Your resizing software sucks or has the wrong settings. It is point-sampling, a good tool for a few select applications, but not for general image resizing.

I agree, iPhoto is good for a few select applications.

I meant its resizing method sucks as you used it; I don't know if it has other options, or what else it does.  I would look for resampling options for both on-screen and for explicit resizing in the menus.

I see no user-settings that would help it. I was also seeing this wood grain in PS Elements.

What is an alternative to "point-sampling?"

Lanczos, Bicubic and Bilinear are the more common ones.

Your original is slightly aliased. Bad software/settings exaggerate that exponentially. You would have had no problem, for instance, had the original been shot at an f-stop with significant pixel-level blur due to diffraction, or a soft, wide-open lens.

It was the ZD-50, at F/3.5, which is about as loose as I'd want to shoot portraits, as the depth of field is very unforgiving if I shoot any more open (nose in focus, eyes not, for example.)

I wasn't trying to suggest that you have used a softer lens, per se; the aliasing in the full res image was marginal.  I was just saying that if the original image were soft enough, the aliasing would be less, even with the poor downsizing method.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow