The NEX-5N's 60i is TRUE INTERLACED, not progressive segmented frame

Started Dec 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ADoug
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: The NEX-5N's 60i is TRUE INTERLACED, not progressive segmented frame
In reply to feijai, Jul 12, 2013

feijai wrote:

I've been talking to and sending some 60i clips to the makers of ClipWrap, who are experts on this topic. And I am sad to report that, contrary to my and others' belief here, the NEX-5N records 60i in true interlaced video, NOT progressive segmented frame.

I cannot say if the NEX-3 and NEX-5 are recording 60i in PSF or true interlaced. It's possible that they're doing PSF if their older sensors only run at 30Hz. But the 5N is running at 60Hz (hence the ability to do 60p). Our running theory to explain the 5N (and probably C3) being true interlaced is that Sony decided to record at 60Hz and interlace the frames when it did 60i, rather than throw away every other frame and do PSF.

If so, that really sucks. It means that if you want to shoot progressive 30fps on the NEX-5N, your only option is to shoot 60p and downsample. And furthermore you have to go through the rigamarole of loading the 60p movies into FCPX, which doesn't recognize them out of the camera right now.

So to repeat: The NEX-5N's 60i is interlaced. It is NOT progressive segmented frame. That is all.

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I was reading it the other day and curious about what kind of video NEX-5 recorded. I found it here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5VIDEO.HTM

From the site:

"With a frame rate of 60 fields-per-second (interlaced), the Sony NEX-5 produces smooth motion, though not as smooth as could be possible with a sensor running natively at 60i. The NEX-5's sensor is read at 30 frames-per-second (progressive) and video is interlaced to 60i by extracting alternate field pairs of each 30p frame. (The AVCHD standard does not define 1,920 x 1,080 at 30p, so providing 60i from a 30p sensor makes perfect sense.) While this is not true 60i from the sensor, it does have the advantage of making de-interlacing much easier, though sophisticated de-interlacers can certainly produce more fluid looking motion from true 60i video."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow