Did again... Pentax K-01 (pics)

Started Jul 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: Did again... Pentax K-01 (pics)
In reply to sentro, Jul 12, 2013

sentro wrote:

Well, I couldn't resist a good deal. Now that the K-01 has been dicontinued in the US the prices went down quite a bit. I git the 40mm kit for $445. First of all, this is a different animal. Getting used with a camera withput a viewfinder will be tough. Focusing (with the latest firmware) is fairly quick with the 40mm kit lens and with my Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM and with my Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM. The 18-250mm Pentax is also decent with a bit of hunting even in good light. Nothing major tough.

The Sigma 180mm F3.5 macro is unusuable in AF mode. Super slow to focus...a good 3-4 seconds even with the limiter ON. Granted, I will probably use it in manual mode with focus peeking. With the sun up it's kind'a hard to see the screen specially for Focus Peeking.....on the other hand, when the light is soo bright I don't consider that optimal so again, I can probably live with it.

The body is 'boxy' but i like it. Feels good and solid. Not everybody likes it but it's fine for my taste. It's a different fell from my K5/K20 bodies. I had a chance to take some pictures today in downtown Chicago. The sun was all the way up so the light was harsh. Here are some examples.

Pentax 18-250mm lens

Pentax 18-250mm

Pentax 18-250mm

Pentax DA 40mm F2.8 SX

Pentax 40mm F2.8 SX

Sigma 180mm macro in manual mode (peeking)

At this time it looks like a keeper. I need more practice to get better resuilts.

Hi,

nice pics, just got the k-01+40mm xs for under 300£ on amazon! i as well am loving it!

cheers

Aidan

ps: love using the 35 on it!

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow