Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MallardDuck
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Warning: Adobe Subscriptions auto-renew and have large cancellation fees
Jul 12, 2013

I'm a pretty savvy computer and business guy, but this one caught me, so I'm sharing to help others avoid hitting the same trap.

Adobe subscriptions are set to auto-renew by default - and they do it without any approval or consent on your part. Once they renew, they refuse to cancel them without incurring a 50% penalty on the yearly subscription amount. I've tried escalating a couple of times, but after a week of fighting through the call center, still no resolution.

So for folks who were tempted by the teaser rates for creative cloud, when it renews at full price, it'll be too late. You may be on the hook for hundreds of dollars in cancellation fees.

The difference between the monthly charge email and the renewal email is a single word - very very easy to miss (I obviously did). Silly me for 1) thinking that a 'one year subscription' was exactly that, a one year subscription, not a perpetual subscription with annual renewals, and 2) not paying very very close attention the detailed wording of the subject line of the receipt emails (how many of us read them closely?). So yep, it's my fault - I should have paid more attention, but hopefully my experience will save others the trouble and expense.

Moral of the story - if you're not 100% sure that you want a second year of this stuff, go out right now and turn off auto-renew on the subscription if you can. If not, make darn sure to set a calendar notice before it renews to cancel it.

I suspect there will be a lot of people, when the teaser rate runs out, who have a very rude surprise waiting for them.

If the subscription model is so great, then why do they have to trap users like this?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow