Crystal Ball Required... Locked

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,830Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to The Davinator, Jul 12, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

I have been looking at getting the D800e to replace my D800. For some of the things I photograph, it would add a bit of peak sharpness. Where I found the biggest benefit aside from rez, is that when proper technique is used for metering a scene with a large DR requirement, one can meter easily for the highlights and maintain the midtones. Some mistakingly call this pulling the shadows, but it has nothing to do with that actually. In a large DR scene, if one exposes for the highlights, the midtones that were around zone 5or 6 are moved down and compressed to zone 2 or so. In post processing, we can expand those midtones back to zone 5 or 6 while leaving the shadows in zone 0 or 1 exactly where they are. Moving those midtones back to zone 5 or 6 is about a 4 stop movement. As the eye tends to fall on the midtones, this is where one does not want banding. Currently, the D800 is better suited to this than the 5D3. The resolution is a nice bump as well as it amounts to about an extra print size. In other words, a 20x30 from the D800 is about a 16x24 for the 5D3. This actually matters less to me than the extra DR.

I believe in Canon land the preferable technique is to expose for the midtones and then recover the highlights.  Like my picture of the boy surfing, which I would think would be comparable to shooting a bride in a wedding dress in direct sun. Look at the details recovered in the sea foam. I don't think this method is inferior...?

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow