Crystal Ball Required... Locked

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,741Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 12, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

Even if you had 5D3 with Nikon sensor in it you would still read many complaints. Just remember this there will be no perfect camera ever. Period!!!!! There is no way someone can create the camera for every situation out there.

As far as 5D3 vs, D800 vs D600:

I have two of them, 5D3 and D800e.Would not even consider D600 because it uses only SD cards.

Sold 5D2 to buy D800e. Bought 5D3 later. All around as a camera (not IQ for me) 5D3 is a better camera for me yet I use it the least as a backup because the final product is not based on the camera body. To me IQ of D800e is far more superior than 5D3 for what I shoot. It is not the DR that ruins it for me but the severe banding and resolution. High resolution of D800e can hide a lot of things like noise, camera shake, subject movement etc....just like if you look at the picture on the rear LCD and don't see any of it until you zoom in. I shoot a lot in the dim lights so D800e is for me but I was missing the features of 5D3 so much that I had to buy it even if I use it as secondary camera.

If you PM me I will tell you the real difference between the two. I just don't want to start another camera war here.

I have been looking at getting the D800e to replace my D800.  For some of the things I photograph, it would add a bit of peak sharpness.  Where I found the biggest benefit aside from rez, is that when proper technique is used for metering a scene with a large DR requirement, one can meter easily for the highlights and maintain the midtones.  Some mistakingly call this pulling the shadows, but it has nothing to do with that actually.  In a large DR scene, if one exposes for the highlights, the midtones that were around zone 5or 6 are moved down and compressed to zone 2 or so.  In post processing, we can expand those midtones back to zone 5 or 6 while leaving the shadows in zone 0 or 1 exactly where they are.  Moving those midtones back to zone 5 or 6 is about a 4 stop movement.  As the eye  tends to fall on the midtones, this is where one does not want banding.  Currently, the D800 is better suited to this than the 5D3.  The resolution is a nice bump as well as it amounts to about an extra print size.  In other words, a 20x30 from the D800 is about a 16x24 for the 5D3.  This actually matters less to me than the extra DR.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow