Need help with first DSLR

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Re: Need help with first DSLR
In reply to GillyTheKid, Jul 12, 2013

Hmm, I started out with the D5100, the 18-55 and 55-200.  Others have made suggestions for other lenses, but I think this combo is a reasonable place to start.  Yes there are better lenses, but you really don't know where you'll be shooting to start and the 18-55 and 55-200 are a very sensible reasonably sharp combo.

Ok, firstly - I won't buy either of those.  I believe they're overpriced or include things you might not want / need out of the gate.  Here's my first suggestion: Go to Amazon and add the 5200 with 18-55 and then either the 55-200 or 55-300 to your cart.  Then proceed to the final checkout screen (but don't hit buy unless you're ready too!).

There are rebates right now which don't show up until the final checkout screen.  Right now the D5200 and 55-200 costs $949 which I think to be a more reasonable price.

Of the two bundles, the Costco is probably the better deal.  However it includes things like the Wifi Adapter you might not need.  That camera bag is awful (it came free with my D5100).  For the $100 difference between the Costco kit and just buying the camera / lens at Amazon you could pick up a decent camera bag and the SD card (which you will need to save photos).

On other option I'd throw out there - if you're willing to buy refurbished and willing to consider the D5100, you can get a D5100 factory refurbished with the 18-55 for $434 at Cameta.  Then you could pick your own telephoto lens.  Or a prime / flash / etc.  I think you can get the 5100 with the 18-55 & 55-200 for about $600.  They also sell refurbished lenses so you could get the D5100, 18-55 and 70-300 for about the same price as that D5200 kit.  But all of that is up to you.  These are all good cameras and suitable starter lenses.  I'd avoid kits with 1000 of extras since most of the extra's are usually junk you don't want.  Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow