Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507
Like?
XF1: a Catch-22
Jul 12, 2013

We came across an envelope that had been tucked away in the back of a desk for three+ decades; the envelope contained a treasure trove of snapshot size (mostly 4"x6") color photos that other people had taken of our son when he was very young. The negatives from which the prints were made probably have been lost forever, even if we could determine who took the photos.  Wanting to share the photos in 2013 manner (attachments to email or Smugmug gallery), I have tried to photograph them with our XF1 (using a tripod on a table).  But I ran into a Catch-22.

Here is the problem:

• In order to fill the frame with a 4"x6" print, I need to shoot the old photos at short range;
  • That requires me to set the camera to Macro setting;
  • The Macro setting forces autofocus on the XF1;
  • The color photos are "sharp," but some of them are not critically sharp: the edges are a bit soft;
  • So the autofocus of the XF1 thinks that it cannot find the correct plane of focus;
  • But switching to [M]anual focus, Macro is deactivated, and the camera is too close to the old photo to focus on it manually. 

There is a Fujifilm FAQ that superficially would seem to offer help for this situation, but (to my eyes, at least), it is contradictory:  http://faq.fujifilm.com/digitalcamera/faq_detail.html?id=110201113   I have not been able to perform with our XF1 the procedures that are suggested in the FAQ.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a door out of the closed loop?

Fujifilm XF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow