olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,335
Like?
Re: MP race
In reply to Stacey_K, Jul 12, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Well, there is a bit of color moire on the right side (his left) of the suit, so another camera might not have that issue. But it really is just a little bit -- no biggie, in my opinion.

For some people, colour fidelity is more important than resolution.

Not sure if you know this, but excellent colour fidelity and IQ in general (except resolution) at the sensor was one of the first claims of the new 4/3rds standard. It was one of the things that drew me here in the first place. And the E1 delivered exactly as promised.

While I don't dispute those who prefer resolution (even false detail if it looks 'realistic') over all other things except noise, it pleases me not that photography has gone this way.

I so agree with this. While the E1's 5MP would probably be enough, the 8MP of the E300 certainly would be for all my uses. I think making giant prints must be some sort of guy thing, I've -never- wanted to make 30X40 prints. And if I did, I would have no interest studying them from inches away. Even when I shot 4X5 film, most of my prints were 8X10 with an occasional 11X14. My main deal is good color (with a minimum of PP) and ease of handling/accurate AF good, simple to use flash support and things along those lines. I also now appreciate being able to use higher ISO settings and clean shadows that can be pulled when needed. Instead we now have 24MP APS and 36 and growing MP FF models.

But... there is no contradiction between color accuracy and high resolution. I have no problems with the color out of my D800 and never heard anyone complaining about them, quite the opposite, so I don't understand the discussion. It is not that you have to chose between a 5MP camera with accurate colors and a 90MP camera with totally wrong colors. If that would be the case I am pretty sure no fashion photographer would use any Hassy or D800, but every one of them would go for the 5MP camera. A lot has happened since the E-1 so while I can not argue about it being a nostalgic and legendary (sort of) camera, every brand has it's legends and today's cameras are better, or at least as good, in competent hands. That goes even for cameras like the 10MP V1 or the 16MP G10, as well as many Fuji models and also others I don't know enough to discuss.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow