Moiré disaster on the E-5

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,740
Like?
Re: I guess you already know this, but...
In reply to Barry Stewart, Jul 12, 2013

Barry Stewart wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

...One way to avoid this is to explain customers how to dress (more like how NOT to dress) for a shooting. I know that is not always possible, but never the less, it is worth to advice them and also explain why. Ordinary people don't really think a lot about colour combinations and fabric issues which can be a problem with any camera, not just the E-5.

That's a huge topic on its own, Oly and many people — including myself — don't know a twill from a double-knit...

...I belong to the same group as well, but I did not really mean the sewing and knitting part, more like some of the obvious ones, the ones almost anyone immediately can see when you meet a person face to face. Photographers are supposed to have a sensible eye for esthetics and composition, contrast and good looks.

Some example:

Many women use makeup on their faces and when they are in front of the camera you can see the starting line. That does not look good on a photo. If they stand in front of you with a deep decolletage that may be even more obvious, and even worse, causing reflection on their chest.

Men don't wear makeup (at least most don't) which is a drawback during photography and filming because they often have more reflection from their faces caused by studio light or other strong lights than women. Ask them to ask somebody to put makeup on their faces before a shooting, check when they arrive and correct if necessary.

Explain your customers how ugly a strong suntan and white dress/suit looks like in an image. This tasteless ugliness is reinforced if they also have very glossy lipstick on their lips. Strong suntan can be made less strong by the right makeup as well, so if somebody has it you could ask them to lighten it up with makeup.

Full body white (or black) dress/suit should be avoided. I know that is not possible to do in every situation due to traditions and fashion but white (or black) are difficult colors and most people don't look good dressed completely white or black.

Fabric with strong reflective surface or fabric should also be avoided unless that is exactly the goal or want to express some kind of special mood, taste or personality.

Fabric with fine pattern can cause color shifting or strange pattern. This is not new and is not really digital related.

Some fabrics break down the light into several color, like a prism. Not easy to describe without example images. This can in some cases be avoided with careful lighting but if possible, fabrics like that should not be used in a studio.

...and so on.

Like you say, this is a topic of it's own and is not really Oly related. If there isn't a book already about these things somebody should start writing one.

nor which weave patterns are more likely to cause photo problems.

Not easy, but if you experiment you can see that. Also most of the fabric related issues can be avoided if you are careful with light and chimp, as well as take a few test shots just to make sure.

How would we tell a customer, over the phone, what to wear or what to bring to the shoot?

Over the phone is not easy. One way is to have a web page with information and also sample images, a guide about the "How to look best on photographs". That page can also be printed and given to customers in advance. A third is to ask them to come and visit you before. What is important is to explain that it is not you who can't take images and that it is not your gear which is wrong but some things are similar because they are connected to scientific facts or esthetic "rules" of compositions, color combinations and so on. It is important not to make the customer fell stupid and also emphasize that it is not your professional knowledge what's lacking, quite the opposite, it is because you are real PROFESSIONAL that you give those advices.

Anyway, as a matter of fact I don't understand people who order a shooting over the phone, without having seen you or your work in advance. After all, for many of them it is a once in a lifetime event, so why hurry and stress to get over it as fast as possible and why not wanting to look best?

I know that all this is not simple, but I also feel that the responsibility of the photographer to make the best out of an event is also often ignored.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow