D600 focus shifts under different light?

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
jWaltman
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: D600 focus shifts under different light?
In reply to jWaltman, 9 months ago

I was contacted by PM recently wondering if I ever figured out a solution to this problem.  For anyone out there still reading this and looking for more information...

I was seeing the focus shifting in different light most with my 24mm f/1.4--which was always tricky focusing at f/1.4 anyway. I sent that lens to Nikon and they did adjust the AF on that lens. When it came back it was in much better shape. I think that, by the very nature of the design of the 24/1.4, if the focus was off just a little the shift under various light is magnified. Once Nikon adjusted the focus the focus shift is still there, but it's pretty minor and no longer bothers me (i.e., I don't notice in real-world shooting anymore).

Today I notice the focus shift, somewhat, on all my fast lenses, but only if I'm using a tool like lens align and comparing side-by-side.

Given that I've seen reports of this type of shift on multiple cameras (e.g. D7000, D800, D4) in this thread and others I think it's just the nature of the AF system. I do believe that it's possible that certain lenses may magnify the differences, especially if those lenses are out of alignment.

Hope this helps!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow