ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,419Gear list
Like?
How to store Olympus lenses safely
Jul 12, 2013

Hey kids,

How do you store your lenses? Some people just stick them in their wardrobe or in a drawer. I did that with my old Sigma glass - and it got destroyed by mould.

When I switched to m43 I was determined not to lose any lenses to water, mould or knocks.

The first thing I did was buy a super-tough, waterproof and airtight suitcase.

Next, I emailed Olympus Malaysia and asked them about the ideal humidity levels for storing their lenses, to guard against mould without damaging lens lubricants. Olympus emailed me back stating that the ideal relative humidity level was between 35 per cent and 45 per cent (by the way, mould starts attacking at about 60 per cent).

How to achieve 35-45 per cent humidity?

I bought a small box of silica-gel dessicant that can be recharged by plugging it into a wall socket (the gel is blue when dry, red when saturated). I also bought a hygrometer off ebay so that I could keep track of the humidity level.

Hygometer: USD $3.95 from ebay

Silica-gel box: RM 45 (about USD $15) from ebay

So, for less than $20, I found a way to keep my lenses dry.

The box was much more expensive, however. It's a (Pelican) Hardigg Storm im2100 which cost USD $117. The box came with punch-out foam padding, which I upgraded by purchasing a dedicated set of dividers for the exorbitant sum of USD $87.

Still, it's worth it to keep my expensive lenses safe. I'm confident that nothing can damage them while they're in this box. Also, the whole set-up is portable.

Here's how it looks:

Notes:

- The box of dessicant is the white thing in the middle, above the 75-300 II

- The hygrometer is the small electronic thing top-left, sitting on a lens.

How do you store your glass?

Feel free to reply to this posting with shots of your own storage methods.

S.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow