As an avid m4/3 (and other ILC) user, let me chime in here....

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,190Gear list
Like?
As an avid m4/3 (and other ILC) user, let me chime in here....
Jul 12, 2013

Hello sports fans...

I've been on these forums since 2002 and have shot with quite a few cameras since that time.  I'm currently quite immersed in the micro 4/3 world - shooting with the likes of the Olympus OMD E-M5, E-PL5, E-P3 and Panasonic GF1, GX1, GF5, G5.  And then I picked up the Fuji X-E1 - again, a wonderful addition to the field.  I've never been a fanboy of any one brand, and I've long since discovered that each brand have some wonderful photographic instruments.

But I've got to admit that I enjoy surprises - especially when my previous speculations or assumptions have led me down the wrong road.  You see, I recently picked up an EOS-M (with latest firmware update) with the 18-55 and 22 and I've got to tell you that I was taken aback at the gorgeous IQ that this camera is capable of achieving.  Previously, I laughed at its release - like many folks did, just shaking my head in amazement when it was announced by Canon.  However, talk about a 180 on my behalf.   Ergonomically, I realize that everything is subjective, but I find the camera to be a delight to hold and shoot.  I can't wait to get my paws on the 11-22 that Canon released for the M - but it's not yet available in the US (dam, I wish that would change).

Granted, Canon came really late to the table with this release, but I firmly believe if they continue this line that they'll be on to something big.  Heck, I was impressed with the Fuji X-E1 being as small as it is and having an APS-sized sensor.  Well, the EOS-M, size-wise, puts all that to shame and those 18 MP's are downright gorgeous.

As for the 18-55, it's a shame that it's referred to (or considered) as a kit lens.  It's build quality all the way around is something more like what you'd expect out of a high-end lens and I find the glass to be quite sharp for a zoom.  Just like the Fuji 18-55 (for their X series of cams), this Canon 18-55 is way too good to be labeled as a kit lens.

So although I'm not new to Canon - having shot with a variety of Canon DSLR's some 7-8 years ago - and having kept up with their enthusiast models to this date - this EOS-M has me rethinking my previous attitude about the EOS-M being released too little, too late.  I am downright impressed with this EOS-M and there is no other way to express it.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +26 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow