What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,069Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to knickerhawk, Jul 11, 2013

knickerhawk wrote:

In the case of flower shots, ETTR without uniWB can actually be a rather dangerous strategy because it's so easy to blow the blue channel in particular, which will cause an unwanted color shift in the flower or worse. However, the problem doesn't end there. In sunny conditions you can still blow flower highlights even though you're exposing "normally" and the histogram looks ok. uniWB is recommended along with careful processing with appropriate gamut checking enabled. ETTR'ing flower shots with uniWB enabled will give you the best opportunity for nailing exposure, with the goal of processing for optimal tonality in the flower petals and leaves. Even if you don't care about the darkest areas, minimizing noise in the upper shadows and lower midtones is just as useful in flower shots as in other images. You can certainly get fine results without using uniWB+ETTR, but you'll probably improve your success rate if you adopt that strategy.

In addition to ETTR I do not use UniWB either.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow