I'm creating a capture/post process workflow with small sensor files and I need your opinion.

Started Jul 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,473Gear list
Like?
I'm creating a capture/post process workflow with small sensor files and I need your opinion.
Jul 11, 2013

This post would generally be in the Retouching forum, but I value the opinions of the many talented and creative people here in PowerShot talk. So I ask your help to see how well, or not, I am getting close to achieving a certain type of presentation of the images from our small sensor cameras. In this case, I'm using the SX50.

As we've seen from the wonderful images posted by many members here, our tiny sensors are becoming a mainstay rather than an also-ran of good photography. And I keep trying to find the very best technical results that they can offer. Not only straight out of camera, but with the help of post processing as well. To find these increases in acuity or color precision or just general presentation, I've been doing a lot of work in raw lately to come up with workflows that give results to my liking. However today's discussion will not be about raw, but about JPEGs.

From applying a subset of my work in raw to JPEG files, I am attempting to give a certain feeling to the presentation of the JPEG subject(s). Now that is a very nebulous statement of my intentions,  but that is on purpose. I want to know if anyone "sees" what my ultimate intention is, even if just a little bit. This will give me a general idea if my real world images are headed in the right direction, or if I'm just getting delusional.  

I've put together 3 real world examples for today's test and since the Day Lillies are ablaze in my gardens, they will be the subjects. The test will be presented in three different compositions: as multiple subjects taking up the majority of the image, as multiple subjects set back in the image, and as a single subject image. Note that in the capture of the subjects there is no "lighting". The subjects were in the shade and the only illumination was from the open blue sky. The SOOC files are very flat and any sense of lighting or contrast is totally from the post process workflow. But the originals are very sharp, being carefully focused from a tripod and exposed with a cable release.

So, do you see anything "different" about these images, even if just "a feeling of . . ." Maybe not, and that's OK. I'm experimenting. Also tell me if you think the images look a little phony, like they are too processed. When I first started this experiment, my wife would quickly point that out each time. I never have to worry about her not telling me exactly as it is. But one of the reasons I am posting these examples here is that this time it took her a minute before she commented, almost an eternity. I took that as at least a beginning in possibly reaching my goal.

So your comments, good or bad, are appreciated. (Note to Monica and Stephen B: since we've talked a little about this before, please word your comments at first to something like "it looks like you're getting there" or "it's not getting there yet" without mentioning my intention. Just so that others may get a chance to give an opinion on what they think I'm trying to do. Thanks.)

All right, enough talk, talk, talk. Here are the images:

Multiple subjects covering most of the image.

Multiple subjects set back in the image.

A single main subject.

Besides all the "technical stuff", I hope you like the images as well.

Thanks for commenting,

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow