Moiré disaster on the E-5

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,344
Like?
Re: I guess you already know this, but...
In reply to Greynerd, Jul 11, 2013

Greynerd wrote:

It seems a bit much for a photographer to tell a customer not to indulge their choice of fashion in clothing because the photographer wants to indulge in what seems to be the current photographic fashion of not having an anti-aliasing filter. Presumably cameras have had these anti aliasing filters in for a reason or has this purpose gone now. Is the tiny amount of extra resolution of any real use to the customer of a photographic shoot such that he has to avoid wearing his favourite suit?

The problem is not related to the E-5 or to any camera with weak AA filter. ANY camera can produce moire, depending on the fabric or the pattern.

Also, you misunderstood my point. The task of the photographer is to take good, PROFESSIONAL quality pictures, not just snapshots like anyone else can. This means that the composition is important. Composition has several elements, one is the pattern in the image, another is the contrast and the colors, the background and also the dress he/she is wearing and so on. It is the duty of the photographer to explain that to the customer in a way that the customer does not feel stupid for his/her not knowing it. It is of course not possible in every situation, but in some situation that is a perfectly good option, especially in planned studio shooting sessions. After all, the customer comes to you and pays a lot of money for your PROFESSIONAL images, so he/she definitely want to look good and wants your PROFESSIONAL opinion. This is why (for example) it is not wrong to put make-up on men if necessary to get rid of reflections on the forehead, or to point out a stain on a shirt or something similar. A trick I learned is to hand over a mirror before the shooting begins, or even better, to have a large mirror behind you in a way that it won't show up in the image but would invite the customer to have a look at him/herself to see small anomalies, comb hair and fix ties and so on. I know that all this is not possible to do in every situation, but yes, it is definitely an option to tell the customer before he arrives to the studio that his favorite suit might not look good on him on the image, so it would be better to have something else on. Of course, again, not everyone is capable of understanding that, so in the end, the customer decides but yes, it is the duty of the photographer to inform about possible improvements and you would be surprised to know how many customers would appreciate such advise.

All the reviews of cameras without these filters I have seen do show extra colour artifacts. What is the advantage?

Almost all cameras exhibit some moire. The advantage of not using strong AA filter is the increasing resolution since AA filters blur the image a bit. The higher the pixel density the less need there is for AA filter. Also, don't confuse the color moire with other type of color shifting, some can be caused by the fabric itself, which might work like a prism, breaking the light down to different colors, creating strange effects, some can be caused by the microlenses in front of the pixels, some can be caused by PP during conversion, resizing and so on. There are many reasons why color problems can occure, not just those which can be helped by the AA filter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow