What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168Gear list
Like?
You may or may not see a difference
In reply to josbiker, Jul 11, 2013

<Tom, can you provide us (me) with 3 examples a RAW, a raw ETTR and a JPEG to learn and see what you told us? Please of the same object?>

The differences may be subtle depending on the dynamic range of the scene and the conditions such as low light, etc. There are many posts where this has been demonstrated and I think you'll find an abundance of images to view by searching this topic.

Since it's a digital sensor the wells have a certain capacity and we want the right most wells filled up (without overfilling) to ensure the highest quality image. That is the point to be made here.  This represents the best exposure to derive the best images from.  Film and digital sensors do not work the same in this regard.

If knowing this doesn't make you want to ensure that you are incorporating this fact into your photography, that's no biggie but my RAW file will generally have more room to pull up my shadows from in a high DR situation.

We're dealing with hard facts, whether or not you can see them generally just depends on a lot of factors.

If you would like to see the actual data from your sensor, download RAW Digger for free and you'll see the see exactly how the wells are filled and to what extent.  You will also be able to observe the situations where you have no data at the top due to overexposure in camera (shutter or aperture related items).

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow