Started Jul 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Austin Li
Contributing MemberPosts: 650
Like?
Advice for a 7-day Alaska photo trip
Jul 11, 2013

My 2 friends and I plan to flight to Anchorage on August 31, and then drive a rental car to photo around.  We intend to visit places between Homer and Fairbanks, and shooting landscapes and wild life.  For landscapes, I'd love to have fall colors incorporated in my pictures. So I am seeking advices here regarding the trip planning and gears to take.

Trip plan: As of now, I think we should drive north to fairbanks first and then drive back south, stop at Denali and then keep going south to Homer, then drive back to Anchorage to return home.  Obviously, this plan has a disadvantage:drive back and forth. Should we focus in a smaller area?

Gear: I plan to take both my D700 and D800 along with Gitzo 3540 (markin M20). For lenses: I have Tokina 16-28, Nikon 24-70/2.8; Nikon 70-200 VR2. Is the Tokina wide angle necessary for Alaska? For wildlife, I am also taking the AFS 300/4 with TC-1.4.

If for lighter option, I may just take Nikon 24/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4 and Nikon 85/1.4(AFD), but I believe zooming with feet may be difficult even impossible, so I prefer the zoom lenses now.  I also have cheap walk-around lens AFD 28-105 and AFD 70-210, but they may not offer optimal quality as the f2.8 zooms do?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-- hide signature --

Austin
Photography is one of the ways to get myself relaxed from occupation stress.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Pentax Optio M20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow