What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,554
Like?
What is proper exposure at the first place?
In reply to bowportes, Jul 11, 2013

bowportes wrote:

As an old fart of a photographer, I thought I knew all about exposure -- you know, aperture, shutter-speed, and ISO. The point was to nail the proper exposure as given by the camera...

Being an old fart photographer myself, I always believed in the principle that in photography, being a visual craft, the final judgement of a photograph is done with the eye. Therefore, my definition to proper exposer is completely different.

For me, proper exposure is the amount of exposure that makes my photo look exactly the way I want it to look.As simple as that.

Therefore, with all due respect to everything mentioned in the OP which is very interesting and I am sure also helpful to many, it still lacks one very important element - how do I want my image to look like. This is something that no camera in the world can guess and without this input, no exposure theory has any validity for me.

Let me show you two examples to explain what I mean:

Is this photo underexposed? Of course if you look at the histogram. But I consider it to have the perfect exposure, because this is exactly the way I wanted it to look like.

And what about this one? The histogram tells me it is a disaster but again, correct exposure for me.

That of course is not to suggest that people are wrong, it is just my personal take on the subject based on my own style, needs and experience. YMMV.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow