Best Small Shoulder Bag for XE1 3 Lens Kit

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
TexasBuyer
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Small Shoulder Bag for XE1 3 Lens Kit
In reply to R Neuschul, Jul 11, 2013

R Neuschul wrote:

One thing which has been overlooked in all of this discussion is the overall weight of the bag itself.

I have about 5-6 different Billinghams of various sizes from the tiniest all the way to full backpack [all over 25 years old and still waterproof], a couple of Tenbas [also over 25 years old], a Domke or two and a few other oddball custom bags of various sizes; apart from the small Tenba and the small Billingham the weight of all these bags can be excessive when full and used for long periods - especially where the straps are poorly designed; with many cases it may be necessary to either replace the strap with a better one, or add a different shoulder pad such as the aircushion items from Optech.

Recently I looked at a couple of the Manfrotto bags at Calumet in London and compared them with equivalent sizes from Billingham and Domke; in particular I was checking the Manfotto Unica range. The relative empty weight is much lower when comparing size for size with other bags and the range has a built in [waterproof] tripod compartment. I suspect the Unicas range would probably be too small to take your full range of lenses, but it happily took my X-Pro plus the 18-55 and a couple of Nikon primes [24mm and 135mm] with just enough room for the X20 as well.

Re point made earlier about snug fitting bags: total agreement. When the bag is too snug there's great danger of battery drain.Also applies if you use one of Tim Isaacs' Thumbs Up grips; if the bag fitting is too tight you'll have problems.

In my own view a good bag that will handle anything more than a body and 2 lenses should also have the option to use a waist belt as well: this relieves some of the strain when attempting to move quickly and ensures you're not totally off balance; it's a useful half-way house to a backpack.

I totally agree about the waist belt option.  That is why I really liked my Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag which could accommodate by X-E1, 18-55 mm kit lens, 14mm prime, EF-X20 flash, filter, spare battery, and 4 memory cards.  The Hubba Hubba Hiney was compatible with ThinkTank's modular belt system.  Unfortunately, the 55-200mm kits greatly exceeded its capacity.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow