Severe contrast enhancements: on 45% rule — and cats

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ilza
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: Changing contrast without distorting colors: 45% rule and another cat
In reply to knickerhawk, Jul 11, 2013

knickerhawk wrote:

I'm pretty slow at this stuff too. To make things worse Ilza has marked me as a humanities major

Come on, all I said was that you behavedlike one. My apologies if you really took this simile too seriously!

presumably incapable of understanding the difficulties involved. However, I'll muddle on as best I can...

“Capability to understand” is a two way street. You not understanding me may be interpreted as your stupidity, or my ineptness, or just an impedance mismatch.

And I would say that for a humanities major, you muddle wonderfully!

On crappiness: IMO 45% is always better than 0% and 100%; but to find the best percentage more precisely, one needs either to consider a very large pool of images, or some extreme case, where the differences between 40%, 45%, 50% are more pronounced. I thought that γ=5 would provide a good example of such an extreme case; and to have something visible after γ=5, one must start with something sub-optimal.

Well, this was my logic in choosing this image as an example. In hindsight, it has obviously failed. Do you have better ideas for examples?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow