Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wander lust
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Panasonic LX7 vs Sony RX100 vs Nikon P7700
Jul 10, 2013

I have a Panasonic LX3 and Canon SX240.  I'm looking to upgrade because even though I like the LX3, I feel the zoom wasn't enough.  The SX240 was bought for that purpose but then it fell short in terms of image quality.

Basically I want a camera with good image quality but I'm not going into the DSLR or those with interchangeable lenses.  Ideally I would like a zoom that can take decent pic of stage in school plays. I have no idea how to estimate the distance, but maybe I'd give it around 35-40 feet. I was disappointed with the SX240 shooting time (I don't know the technical term for this if there is). Meaning when I click the shutter, it takes some time before I can shoot again and by that time I miss the moment.

I’ve decided to search in compact cams with larger sensors. I have tried to narrow these down. I’m not even sure if I got it right. I got a head ache from looking into each specs and a lot of it I don’t understand. Anyway, I’ve narrowed it to 3 and these are the Panasonic LX3, Sony RX100 (although now I see that there is a new RX100 II), and Nikon P7700.

It’s so hard for to pick. If only the LX7 has a higher zoom, then it’s a sure winner for me because I have the LX3 and it has been reliable so far. In spite of it’s sensor size compared to the RX100 it would seem that it’s a handsdown winner for the RX100, but it seems to be not totally the case. A review also mentioned that it doesn’t mean that a higher pixel count would be an outright winner and that sometimes it contributes to poorer image quality. I have not been able to comprehend this still. I used to think the higher the pixel, the better it would be. As I try to read some reviews, there is always an in depth comparison of ISO. The reason why I’m not able to fully appreciate this is maybe because I never used ISO settings and have no idea how to adjust this. Is this a major component in comparing cameras? It seems to be always mentioned. The LX7 seems to have a faster lens so does it mean that it’s better in low light and could be better than the RX100? But it also says that the RX100 wins hands down in the high ISO test. When is this high ISO used?

If say I’m 40 ft away from the stage, how much can I get from it using the LX7? Will the subject be too small to take?

If it were not for the zoom, I probably would take out Nikon P7700 on the list. Is the aperture of f2.0 a big difference from the f1.4 of LX7 or f1.8 of RX100? From comparisons, it gives me the impression that because it has a smaller aperture, then it’s image quality is poorer than the other 2?

I don’t know if I’m comparing and analyzing these cams the right way. Hope anyone can help?

Thanks.

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow