Severe contrast enhancements: on 45% rule — and cats

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126
Like?
Re: Changing contrast without distorting colors: 45% rule and another cat
In reply to ilza, Jul 10, 2013

Forgive me, but I am very slow and am having considerable difficulty in fully understanding your argument.

I think that the crux of the problem is understanding what you mean by your "N% rule". In your image labelled 100%, I can see that it has 100% of the original saturation. But your image labelled 0%, has more saturation to my eyes, not less, and it certainly isn't 0% saturation as that would imply a b&w image. I am obviously misunderstanding what you mean by the N% rule. Can you explain in more detail, please?

As to the realism of the various images, I agree with you that the most realistic images are those in between your 0% and 100%. To be honest, I would not care to make a judgement between your 40%, 45% and 50%, they are just too similar for me to be able to say which is most realistic.

However, I think it is a very interesting question that you raise and something I had not noticed before. However, I am not at all knowledgeable about this level of detail in theories of colour vision, and I rather doubt that there are many people on this forum who are experts in colour vision. I suggest that it may be better to find a more academic forum, populated by people doing research in colour vision, where you may find a more informed level of discussion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow