Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Beckler8
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Replace my RX100 with a HX50V?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, Jul 10, 2013

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

everything about the HX50 is wonderful

I DID sell my Rx100, with the idea of replacing it with the MK II, but now I think not. I have a NEX 7 for critical work, and will stay with the 50 as a carry camera at least for now.

For those of us who own SLT or NEX cameras, the idea of dropping a few hundred dollars to add an additional lens is not the slightest bit uncommon. It is commonly recognized that each lens provides a specialty function that other lenses will not achieve or will provide a level of quality which is unachievable with some other lens which we may already own.

Therefore, I believe that owning more than one pocket-sized camera makes a great deal of sense. I will take the specific camera with me which seems best suited for the event I am going to be attending, and that may be the HX 20 on one day and the NEX 7 on another day or perhaps some other point-and-shoot.

The huge differences in image quality do not necessarily show up at web or computer screen size unless magnification and pixel peeping are used. The long reach of a 30 X optical zoom lens such as found on the HX 50 cannot be achieved in any equivalent way by cropping an RX-100 image.

I would therefore conclude that owning both cameras makes the most sense if financial considerations are not a problem. Fortunately, the HX 20 is now available at a very low price, and even the HX 50 is not an exceptionally expensive camera.

Larry

Very reasonable statement.  In my case I tend to want to shoot all sorts of images, all the time.  That suggests carrying 2 compact cameras, at which point an ILC might be better.  An HX60 with a slightly larger sensor, 15x zoom, less megapixels...why don't they just make what people want instead of playing stupid marketing games?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow