Sony's Vision?

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony's Vision?
In reply to BJames777, Jul 10, 2013

BJames777 wrote:

Talking with Sigma today they also have no future plans to offer anything beyond 500mm and are considering not producing any more of their A mount 500mm prime specifically due to the fact that Sony seems to not really care about the Alpha line, as far as marketing goes, to the same extent that Cannon or Nikon cares about their lines thus affecting sales.

There maybe a bit of disingenuity here - the 500/4.5 DG is only made in Sony & Pentax mounts whereas the Canon & Nikon are DG HSMs. From a manufacturing pov I can see why having to buy/make parts for a low volume model may not be worth it. On the other hand I suspect that if they gave us the DG HSM in MAF they would sell more. It's the same story with their 300/2.8.

I strongly suspect that once you start reaching these levels of expenditure most people (for whom a 500/4 or similar is a significant commitment) look at lens options first & then the body to fit it.

As for a 600/4 with increasing ability to crop as sensors put more & more MP  on target I'm not sure that there is going to be an ongoing need. & that's even without mentioning TCs or weight/size.

I'm pretty sure that Thom Hogan prefers using a 500/4 over a 600/4 for the above reasons.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow