Photoshop Filters - Why are most greyed out?

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,255Gear list
Like?
Re: Photoshop Filters - Why are most greyed out?
In reply to scottagross, Jul 10, 2013

scottagross wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

scottagross wrote:

Almost all of my filters are suddenly grayed out. The image is in 8-bit mode and RGB. I have been able to access the filters since I created this image a week ago. All filters have been working fine until today. I have four layers and all are rasterized. There are no workpaths. The layer is not 'locked'. I have saved the image and restarted Photoshop. Nothing I've read on the internet solves this issue. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Did you convert to gray scale per chance? If so, convert back to RGB if you want to use filters.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Thank you for replying.

No, it's an RGB 8-bit image with two layers (both rasterized). I've been experimenting and it may be the current size of the image (I've been adding to it every day). It's 32,000x1,000 pixels and is 123 MBs in size. I can cut a section of the image, do a Cntl-N and paste and the filters work on this subset of the main image. I've never heard that filters had a size limitation, but it may be the case.

You may be onto something there. I think different versions of Photoshop have different limits. I seem to recall reading where there is a limit of 15,000 pixels in PS6, but I thought that was for brush type filters. I read somewhere also that maximum number of states was upped from 100 to 1000 in PS6. I don't use PS6 myself, though, so I can't comment further. I bet you're on the right track, though.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow