Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,208
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jul 10, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

I also have a made in Japan Canon P&S, also incredibly reliable. And I have a Canon APS film camera from more than 13 years ago, last time I check on it, it is still kicking, it was also made in Japan.

But if made in Japan/made in China is a valid argument for a higher price, I would argue that the recent problem with Nikon: the left focus point issue of D800E, the dust/oil issue of D600, and the base ISO banding issue of D7100/D5200 would be an even more valid argument to stay away from Nikon?

But of course I wouldn't argue that.

My feedback from Nikon users that I have met is that they made (at least) very good slr and dslr camera and some exceedingly wonderful lenses.  But their "Coolpix" series consumer level cameras were not very good at all.  The Nikon Coolpix 5700 was a camera that was the top of the range at the time of their non-dslr camera and cost me about AUD$1,800.  I bought it to replace my earlier reliable but discontinued  Canon Pro90IS which was the first camera to bring the wonder of digital photography to me.  A camera well ahead of its time but too costly and the megapixel race left it an orphan.  Hence the Nikon 5700. The menu system was beyond me and that says a lot.  Then the camera had a series of repairs necessary culminating in the mother board failing when loaned to my daughter on her first serious overseas trip in Canada.  So she came back with some very odd looking images from that trip and I have not been a great fan of Nikon ever since.

Despite owning far too many thousand of cameras this Nikon was the most unreliable ever and amounted to more than 50% of my repair requests single handed.

So this was no point and shoot but a figurehead of a camera for those who might not be quite into buying a dlsr.  Therefore it does not matter where a camera is made there can be a bad one just as much as made in Germany cannot prevent Volkswagen making lemons.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow