Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
santamonica812
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
My plea: please read the challenge rules
Jul 10, 2013

(First off; this is not a thread about: Is it a good or a bad idea to have lots of rules in challenges? For the purpose of this thread, assume that it is a good thing. (Or, at least, it's a neutral thing.) )

I have been running a series of challenges for several months now. I have noticed an increase in the number of entries that ignore the rules. Most entries stick to the theme of the challenge, but the other rules I put in are often ignored. It happens so frequently that I have to assume that people are just not bothering to read them. In my current challenge, there has been well over 50 entries, with fewer than 20 (so far) that followed the rules.

In the grand scheme of life, this is not a big deal. It wastes the entrants' time, since no one will be able to vote on their images, and it wastes my time, in having to DQ the images. A lose-lose situation.

To make matters (much!) worse, the recent and ongoing bug with DP's software means that none of these entrants will get a notice of the DQ, nor my notes on the reason(s) for the DQ. So, the majority of people don't resubmit their photos, which is a shame.  As I said; I know it's not life-or-death, or anything close to that.  Just something I wish were a bit different

I have the same basic set of rules for all my challenges, so there are no surprises. (image size, meaningful title, give location info, no border/frame)  Do you guys have any suggestions on a better way to get people to read challenge rules? Hosts?  What has (and has not) worked for you in the past?  I'm definitely open to suggestions.  I know that I'm not willing to write PMs to each affected entrant; but other than that, I am wide open.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow