Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,468
Like?
Little CMS vs MS ICM
Jul 10, 2013

I'm trying to learn a bit more about color management. My software offers me a choice of color engines of either Little CMS or Microsoft ICM. I've done an internet search on both, and while the various articles explain their history, there is virtually no guidance on which is a better choice and under what circumstances. One might draw the conclusion that it doesn't matter, but why bother developing a new engine then?

The software, (ACDSee) seems to default to Little CMS, and despite my ignorance, the color tends to be very accurate and consistent both during and after a round trip to PSP X5, so I can't complain in that regard.  Though PSP doesn't offer a choice, and I assume uses MS ICM, but I don't KNOW that.

But it is time to expand my knowledge a bit. Can anyone offer,or point to, some info on usage for these 2 color engines?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Pentax X-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow