Started Jul 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
NMK
NMK
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Re: A quick question to those who use a 50mm
In reply to SohoAperture, Jul 9, 2013

SohoAperture wrote:

I currently use the 24-105mm on my 5D3 but have this awful habit of using too much zoom. Although i normally end up with lovely portrait shots i normally miss out on what is really happening in the scene and only capture the small details rather than the main event. I know i should discipline myself but thought a 50mm could maybe help prevent me from doing this.

I see a lot of people using the 50mm as the lens of choice for everyday photography, would you recommend this as the lens of choice for everyday street, holiday shots, etc? Would the 35mm or the 85mm be a better choice?

Also a photographer friend tells me the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is better than the Canon 50mm 1.4 - is this the case?

Or would you recommend i sell one of my kidneys and buy a canon 50mm 1.2?

I am still swaying to the 50m 1.4 but would like to hear other peoples experience

Thanks in advance.

I used to shoot the D300 18~200VR and for the past 3 days I have been using the 6D with only a 50mm 1.4 and love it!  3 days in sunny Dublin and did not miss the zoom one bit because my photos are of family and friends together on vacation with places we visit as background and the 50mm is perfect.

No idea about the Sigma or the 50L but based on many reviews on the web, the 50mm 1.4 was rated pretty highly and for the price... a no brainer!

The 6D, 50mm 1.4 set up is light, small and perfect for street & holiday shots.  Need to pick up a lens hood....

I also use the 270EX for fill; small, light and good enough for vacation usage.

As for f1.2.... for street & holiday, I cannot imagine you will need it.  IMO, 1.4 is more than enough, in fact, my daughter is using the D300 with 35mm (52mm eq.) f1.8 and seems to be absolutely sufficient for vacation shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow