Started Jul 9, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Diaphragm on chipped 8mm f3.5 Rokinon
Jul 9, 2013

I have a lot of nice old manual-focus, non-chipped Nikkors that I use happily on my D7100, and several nice new G Nikkors (on which there is no aperture ring), but now there is enroute to me an 8mm f3.5 Rokinon, which has the chip for communication with the camera and which happily possesses an aperture ring, but . . .

I'm trying to figure out working the aperture with it. Frankly, I far prefer an aperture ring on the lens, where God intended it, and not on some camera-body wheel someplace. What I'm trying to find out is whether the aperture ring will be of any use to me with the new lens.

As I understand it, when I mount this lens for many/most/maybe all modes except manual, the idea is th set it at f22, the minimum, and then either set the aperture via the wheel or let the camera choose it when in program. Am I right so far?

What I'm wondering is whether I can in any mode other than manual (aperture priority, say) use the aperture ring to set the aperture. On some of the older automatic film bodies, simply grabbing the aperture ring and changing it from the minimum told the camera all it needed to know. Is that true with modern digital bodies and a chipped manual-focus lens (or, for that matter, for autofocus Nikkors that have an aperture ring)?

(I also shoot a Fuji X100, and their method of dealing with aperture/shutter speed is in my estimation unparalleled, what with an actual aperture ring and an actual shutter speed dial, with Automatic settings at the ends thereof. But I digress.)

So: Even though the lens is chipped, will I be able to use the aperture ring itself in aperture priority mode?

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable answers.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7100 Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow