Exposure triangle explanation please.

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Questions thread
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
minor correction ...
In reply to AnthonyL, Jul 9, 2013

AnthonyL wrote:

Well thanks, that prompted me to think about it a bit more and I've come up with this as an explanation. Sorry for my poor graphics capabilities.

based on the above comments:

Middle point represents the desired exposure (which is entirely up to the photographer).  I wouldn't consider just any random point in the triangle to be correct, necessarily.

Each apex is connected to the other two by a fixed length of string (not elastic) that passes through the middle point using something like croquet hoops or wickets.

If the photographer adjusts one apex by "pulling the strings" one (or more) apex will have to be adjusted since the desired exposure is fixed (by the photographer).  So if you make your aperture smaller, you will have "pulled" either the shutter speed apex closer to "blur" or the ISO apex closer to "noise" or both.

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow