Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
What Would You Have Done?
Jul 9, 2013

So I am in Vegas, and I walk into the MGM Grand.

I have my D7100 hanging around my neck, and me and wife walk towards the main lobby to take pictures of the nice monument they have in the center with the lions.

Get this, and keep in mind that I am a white Hispanic (Cuban):

While I tell my wife to pose in front of the lions statue to take a picture of her, a security guard that was hanging around the area walks up to me and tells me: "You cannot take pictures, sorry." as he looks at me and points at my camera.

I reply with: "Excuse me?" and he says the following: "You cannot take pictures with that. Only with cellphones or small cameras. You know, ever since the whole 9/11 thing....."

Did this fool think I was from an Arabic decent (I do not look anything like an Arab). I do not know how he confuses an Arab with a white hispanic?.....So I imagine that he would say worse to an Indian person that would be holding a DSLR?

Furthermore, he goes and makes up the fact that you cannot take pictures with a DSLR (larger camera) but smaller compact cameras are okay, implying the DSLR can be a type of weapon???

I then looked to my right and saw this American family posing for pics as their dad was shooting a Canon DSLR. Nothing was said to them.

Mind you, this was the ONLY hotel and ONLY place in Vegas where someone told me that pictures with a DSLR were not allowed, or pictures weren't allowed, period.

I then immediately asked for his name, went to the front desk and asked for the Manager.
I asked him if taking pictures with a DSLR was prohibited and he said no....then I explained to him that the Security Guard (told him his name) in the main lobby was saying it was not allowed and was racially profiling me for no reason, bringing up 9/11.

The Manager actually took offense to that and said he would speak with him right away.

What would YOU have done?

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow