Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tenoch
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Lens dilemma - Everest Base Camp trek
Jul 9, 2013

I'll be making the trek to Everest Base Camp this November, with a priority on photography. Some of my kit I have locked in; some I still can't really decide on.
At this stage I am planning on taking an RRS TVC-24 tripod, BH-40 Ballhead, RRS Panoramic head, Nikon 70-200 f4, two D800 bodies. That's all I have decided on for sure.

I can't quite decide what other lenses to bring. I want to bring my Zeiss 50/2 for panoramic stitching but I am quite concerned about the dust up there - Zeiss lenses have no sealing. Similarly, for a wide angle I'd love to bring the Zeiss 21/2.8 but that dust issue rears it's head again.

Other wide angle options are the 16-35 f4 (don't love this lens until it's on a tripod and heavily stopped down) or the Nikon 24/1.4. The Nikon is 3mm longer than the Zeiss, but fast, autofocuses and is sealed to dust.

I will have a porter carrying my main pack so I will only be taking camera gear. I'd like to keep the set to three lenses if possible - the telephoto, a normal length lens for stitching and some sort of wide angle.

Nikon 24mm wide enough? Dust going to be a real issue? I can't make up my mind

Would love to hear from anyone who's been.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow