Should I ever use manual on my Sony DSC-WX80?

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ergalthema
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Should I ever use manual on my Sony DSC-WX80?
Jul 9, 2013

I have a Cyber-shot DSC-WX80. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I mainly use it for backpacking. I keep it handy to snap quick photos. Last trip, I tried to take a picture of the tent at night. It turned out pretty well and you could make out a couple stars.

I have only really used the "Superior Auto" setting. It really makes a lot of adjustments depending on the situation. Often, it seems to take a few shots - I'm guessing different exposures and combining them (sort of sounds like HDR, but the shots look natural).

It has some effects that are probably fun sometimes, but I'm usually not interested.

I'm curious if I should ever bother with any of the other settings. There is a 'P' mode for "auto exposure with adjustable settings". The only relevant settings I see are 'exposure compensation', white balance and ISO.

I'd like to be able to take waterfall pics and night sky photos with longer exposures, but I don't know if it's even worth trying with this camera. I didn't expect to do anything fancy when I bought it - I just wanted a cheap camera to keep handy when hiking.

Any info would be appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow