Started Jul 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Jason Rickerby
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?
Manual camera mode, not manual flash
In reply to cpharm86, Jul 8, 2013

cpharm86 wrote:

apersson850 wrote:

The combination of P mode, auto ISO and bounced flash will set ISO in the range 400 to 1600. Aim the flash straight forward and you get ISO 400 all the time.

-- hide signature --

Anders

That is exactly what happened. The consensus though is to use manual flash since I can then adjust the aperture to best suit the DOF with the larger groups I shot. I will post some photos this evening hopefully to get some suggestions.

No - not manually flash. Leave the flash in ETTL mode.

For flash photography of small groups, I would suggest starting with Manual mode, 1/60 - 1/125s shutter, f/5.6, ISO 400, and leave the flash in ETTL mode. I always use one of these flash diffuser's - they're very cheap to make and work very well: http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

(When making the diffuser, while ensuring I haven't glued near the edges, I add some fabric to reinforce where the foam is bent around the flash, and my wife sews the edges with black in the bobbin and white through the needle to minimize the evidence of stitching.)

Sample shot with 5D3, 24-70 F2.8, 580E Flash and DIY diffuser

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow