Can Someone Point Me to Good HDR Photography?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
mothman13
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
Some from Arches National Park
In reply to REShultz, Jul 8, 2013

REShultz wrote:

Sites like 500px (front page, take a look!) are full of HDR photography. It nearly always looks cooked and in some cases ruins perfectly good pictures.

I've not seen it yet but I do read occasionally on forums that it can be "done right" or tastefully. It'd difficult to believe that a skillfully exposed image with a good camera can be improved upon with this technique, but I'd like to see some attempts.

I also (usually) don't like the over-cooked neon glow or "grunge" versions I see a lot, but to each their own.

Here are a few I took out in Arches National Park (Moab, UT) this past April.

Balanced Rock

My brother Jeff on the trail.

Like the close/far items here

And how about one where I took a series of 3-shot bracketed sections and stitched them together for an HDR-panorama? (warning: 16,535 x 5679 pixels, 19.3 MB)

Bracketed and stitched (small, 1920 x 659 pixels version)

Full, 19.3 MB file here

First time with the D7100, first time at the National Park, first time shooting HDR bracketed and first time using Photomatix Pro.

I think some of them came out pretty well, but in truth I concentrated WAY too much on bracketing and/or shooting for panorama stitching instead of simply framing a single shot for maximum effect.
------------------------
Mothman13
www.texasmothman.com

mothman13's gear list:mothman13's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow