Started Jul 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,152Gear list
Like?
Not at all a problem
In reply to maceoQ, Jul 8, 2013

maceoQ wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

One guy in the comments dislikes the images because of too *much* micro-contrast! He finds it distracting. Interesting, and I've not heard anyone say that before.

Really? I think the harsh microcontrast is the main problem when shooting portraits withe the Merrills.
There has been lots of comments about it. There is even an article in x3magazin: "smoother portraits".

There are a huge number of options for smoothing skin.  What the microcontrast is great for is hair, eyes, jewelry, clothing, etc.  In none of those cases does micro-contrast do anything but improve the image.

And even without the micro-contrast boost, you'd have to smooth the skin ANYWAY to remove imperfections, most bayer portrait shooters do this also.  So it's not like it saves you any time not having micro-contrast.

But on the other hand the strong microconrast is welcome when photographing textures, landscapes, old facades etc.

Which also make great backdrops for models...

Anyway, since there is the monochrome mode (blue channel) smooth portraits are easy to make.

But that can smooth out other things, I prefer just affecting the skin if possible.

Also if the subject is old and has a "weathered" face, then micro-contrast is a boon on skin!  It really brings out the character.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow