T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,666
Like?
Re: No.
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jul 8, 2013

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

T3 wrote:

Then by your logic, we should constantly be adding or removing weights from the camera body depending on which lenses we are using, in order to maintain "balance" between the camera body and lens!

Yes that would be good - as the balance is important.

By the way, ever hear of a monopod?

Yes, I use them often, but you are welcome to try and pan with a F1 car in race trim in a corner that opens out and thus allows them to accelerate fully...

I And from personal experience, after a long day of shooting and hauling around gear, my back and shoulders feel better from carrying around a LIGHTER camera, not a HEAVIER camera.

Well, that's not my experience as for me the Position at which I have to support the lens is critically important and if that shifts to the lens that gets exceedingly painful as it puts strain on my spine. If the center of gravity is closer to my body while I use the combination I have more weight but less strain on my back - since I have a slipped disc in my back I can tell immediately if the center of gravity is comfortable for me or not and with the 60D it isn't even with small lenses such as the 70-200 f/2.8L USM...

Karl, your logic behind "center of gravity", as it relates to your back, is horribly flawed. Changing the location of your left hand along the lens does not change the "center of gravity" of the total mass of the camera+lens. Shifting your hand forwards or backwards does not increase the camera+lens' weight, and therefore does not change any force it exerts on your body. What DOES change the forces exerted on your back is an increase in the camera+lens weight. If you're using a heavier camera for any given lens, compared to a lighter camera, then the camera+lens weight is increased, thus increasing the forces on your back. Those are just the facts. To put it another way, putting additional weight in front of your face (ie, in front of your central axis, or spine) is STILL putting additional weight in front of your face, which is exactly what you're doing by using a heavier camera body vs a lighter camera body. Heck, even if you were putting your camera on top of your head (ie, along the central axis, or spine), you'd STILL have more force being put on your spine by using a heavier camera than a lighter camera. In other words, using a heavier camera does NOT reduce stresses on your back because ultimately a heavier camera puts more load on your spine regardless of where you put it! And adding even MORE weight to the camera body only compounds things on your spine.

That you *feel* better because you (erroneously) *think* a heavier camera is better for your back is purely a product of your imagination. Like I said, I think a lot of this has to do with psychology. But if you were to throw a physicist's analysis into the situation, you'd find it's all bunk: using a heavier camera in conjunction with a heavier lens does not reduce strain on your back.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
NoNew
No.New
yesNew
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow