Started Jul 8, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
How to get DOF on fast moving subjects
Jul 8, 2013

I used the DOF calculator online (DOFmaster) and used values I think I would use to take a photo of a peloton coming towards me.

Camera:  FZ150  (they didn't have data for FZ200)

Focal length:  300mm   (I figured I would would use half my zoom range to get close ups)

F/Stop:  F8  (because I want as much DOF as I can get)

Subject distance:  200 feet

The calculator says my DOF would only be 10 feet, from 195-205 feet away.  Yikes.   I don't think my odds of snapping a photo right when the subject is  in the 10 foot range is very high.  And that probably explains my blurry photos...

Focal length:  50mm  (no zoom, other values the same)

Now I get a 7000 foot window of focus.   I can do that, lol!   Would I be able to zoom in during PP for a desired close up --- and have it be in focus?

I have thought about using the 300mm focal length, but taking burst mode, and hoping the subject enters the 10 foot range while I am clicking away, but I think I would need to lower to 5mp/40fps or else I would lose the shot because the camera would be buffering any larger image.   Or maybe I should take video and then pull a still out of that?

Do I understand this correctly -- that it is hard to get zoomed depth of field on fast moving subjects?  Is there a best strategy?

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow