Please comment on my workflow and if I need Lightroom??

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,546Gear list
Like?
Please comment on my workflow and if I need Lightroom??
Jul 8, 2013

Don't know if this should be in the PC Talk forum, but this forum seems to deal with software and PP more. I use Win 7 & 8 and shoot Canon and this is how I do my workflow:

1. When I travel or make specific photos for a subject I start a new folder on the hard drive and not under "My Pictures". I have dedicated hard drives (with backup) for my photos.

2. I transfer the images from the CF or SD cards to the folder.

3. I view the images in Canon DPP and give them ratings or delete them or make a separate sub folder if I'm doing HDR or if I exposure bracketed the photos or if I want a subfolder for a separate subject. I shoot RAW + JPEG and you can view the images as "one" in DPP.

4. If I want to do any PP, I use PS CS6 and I have Nik software package and I also have Photomatix.

My question is would Lightroom be a better way to go? I have LR 3 but I rarely use it and I don't know that I would want to put name tags on the photos. I think that LR can keep track of where your photos are but I've got 4 2TB hard drives. Will it word on those.

Finally, I read more and more in magazines that people do PP in LR and then transfer to PS. When is it best to use LR and when PS when PP?

Thanks for any input or links. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy LR 5 and to learn how to use it.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow