Started Jul 8, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
michael85
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Sony A58 vs Canon 600D
Jul 8, 2013

Introduction: (skip to next chapter if you like)

I am in the search of something more than my Pentax S5n for the past year, so I firstly looked at the mirrorless APS-C cameras (NX and NEX) and then I realized that there is no substitute for a DSLR.
After reading countless reviews of the Canons, Nikons and Pentaxes out there I came to the conclusion that the Canon 600D (T3i) is the best value for money camera out there, especially for a beginner in DSLR photography like myself.

So, I was ready to spend 490€ (~630$) for a Canon 600D (18-55mm IS kit) plus an additional 335€ (~430$) for the absolute beginner necessities (50mm f1.8 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS), when I realized that there is a fairly new option that the DPREVIEW hadn't reviewed yet. The 450€ (~580$) Sony A58 (15-55 kit).

The Dilemma:

The specs differences between the Canon and the Sony are huge.

Sony over Canon -> built-in image stabilization and focus motor, faster burst rate, better battery life (?), wireless flash function, translucent mirror - better live view, excellent EVF

Canon over Sony-> metallic lens mount, 720p 60p video, bigger (3") and better (480p) screen which fully articulates (not just the Y axis).

The in-built IS and focus motor of Sony makes it ideal if you are on a budget since you can use old and cheap Minolta lenses while the Canon needs its own IS lenses.

What is your opinion on the matter? Should I go safe and buy one of the most critically acclaimed cameras of the market for 2011 or should I just buy the newly arrived Sony?

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Casio Exilim EX-S5 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow