From DSLR to PEN...Why do you stick to LCD?

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,370Gear list
Like?
My feelings are the opposite of the other two posters.
In reply to Grani, Jul 8, 2013

I don't like using the LCD (or whatever it's called). I even bought external VFs for my GF1/LX5 and DP2. I just think it's unnatural, and I've never found a LCD that's good in the sun - holding the camera out from my face like I'm scared of it makes it less steady. You may be able to compose the shot on the screen, but cannot always read the info or histogram displayed.

However, I do make use of the bigger screens; for example, with my OM-D, I keep the Super Menu on the LCD so that I can quickly make changes. It works very well for that. For all else, I use the VF. For my dSLRs, I've usually just turned it off unless I foresee doing some chimping.

I have a new P&S that I really like - a Pentax MX-1 - but I continually bring it up to my face when anticipating a shot. It's an excellent camera for daily use, but doesn't have a hotshoe for an external VF, which has probably saved me some money, but cost me a couple of shots yesterday because of the sun - the display angles similarly to the OM-D, but it still couldn't deal with the bright sun.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow