Would you consider the 70D to be

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
RobertoAvanzi
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you consider the 70D to be
In reply to Private Custard, Jul 8, 2013

Private Custard wrote:

I'd be happy paying less money for a camera without live view and video.

I just want it to take stills brilliantly (using the viewfinder), all this other crap is a waste of time......in my opinion anyway.

it is just puzzling to see this repeated over and over. In part, video comes "for free" since it is just a matted of CMOS sensor readout, and it was indeed enabled on the 50D even though as a feature it was not originally there.

OTOH, if a camera with otherwise the same features were to be sold without video, then it would sell much less (let's face the facts) and therefore Canon would either take longer to recoup the investment costs OR have to sell it for more - which could reduce sales further.

The Dual Pixel CMOS AF of course required R&D, and we could argue that it could have been invested into making better DR and S/N ratio. OTOH Canon can make bigger profits by offering a differentiating factor now and invest the money in better IQ later.

So, let's face it. Only if every manufacturer at the same time offered the option of a "DSLR without video" for a given particular customer target, MAYBE they could all segment the market - which means that they could only do that if they formed a cartel and this would be illegal.   This means that everybody wishing a cheaper still shot only camera is in fact complaining about the way capitalism works

Roberto

RobertoAvanzi's gear list:RobertoAvanzi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
NoNew
No.New
yesNew
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow