EVF and focus peaking

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Questions thread
narenek
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF and focus peaking
In reply to Jon Polish, Jul 8, 2013

Hi

I've just bought a 6 especially for the reason you mention, legacy glass. I often found with the LCD on the 5N what focus peaking told me was in focus was just short or long so my % of keepers was low. I've only had the 6 for 5 days but find it much much better for using manual glass on. I find it much easier to focus and my % of keepers has gone up.

As for low light I've not really tried it but read if the contrast isn't decent due to low light it can have problems with peaking on the EVF. That said it's exactly the same for the LCD as peaking depends on contrast for that as well. I don't think it's so much that the EVF struggles more in low light but that as it's more accurate you'll see less colour from the peaking... this could lead to situations where on the LCD you'd get peaking colour but the EVF you get none. But you'll likely find in those situations your not actually in focus anyway even though the LCD shows you are.

narenek's gear list:narenek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow