T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,886
Like?
Re: No.
In reply to Midwest, Jul 8, 2013

Midwest wrote:

70D <> 7D

continuous 7fps <> 8fps

Probably not a difference most people will ever notice.

buffer 16 RAW - 60 JPG <> 25 RAW 130 JPG

Again, not a difference most people will ever notice. 16 consecutive frames is a lot for most people.

1 image processor <> 2 image processors

But what are the real-world consequences of this?

composite body <> magnesium body

Frankly, I prefer the composite body. Modern plastics are extremely resilient, dissipate impact shock better, are lighter, are far less prone to cracking and denting, compared to magnesium. Magnesium is very stiff, but as a result it's not as resilient so it's more prone to cracking. Plus, paint can chip and scratch off a magnesium body, which isn't an issue with a composite body.

Here are a few examples of cracked magnesium bodies:

Many people may not realize this, but all of Canon's prosumer magnesium DSLR bodies actually have plastic bottom plates. This includes the Canon 7D. The following image shows what happens when a Canon 7D is dropped at a location that impacts both the plastic body panel and one of the magnesium body panels:

As you can see, due to the brittle and less-resilient nature of magnesium, the magnesium panel cracked and broke off, whereas the plastic panel just suffered some scratches and a compression dent, but it did not break or crack. So magnesium isn't quite what it's cracked up to be (no pun intended). My point is that one should not have a knee-jerk reaction and automatically assume that a plastic body is inferior, or that a magnesium body is superior.

I also like the fact that plastics are lighter. No point in lugging around more weight than you have to.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
NoNew
No.New
yesNew
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow