Can Someone Point Me to Good HDR Photography?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
roby17269
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Someone Point Me to Good HDR Photography?
In reply to REShultz, Jul 8, 2013

REShultz wrote:

Sites like 500px (front page, take a look!) are full of HDR photography. It nearly always looks cooked and in some cases ruins perfectly good pictures.

I've not seen it yet but I do read occasionally on forums that it can be "done right" or tastefully. It'd difficult to believe that a skillfully exposed image with a good camera can be improved upon with this technique, but I'd like to see some attempts.

I'll humbly offer 2 samples of my HDR work.

These were done by bracketing on site (tripod, MLU and cable release) and then merging at home with Photoshop CS4 or 5, using its HDR Pro filter multiple times with different parameters and then merging the multiple versions manually.

I tried to get a natural look. It took me a while but I have grown to dislike haloes deeply unless deliberately added for effect.

To answer your question, you can get near to the dynamic range of an HDR image with a properly exposed single frame taken with a modern camera... but sometimes the scene's dynamic range is simply too much.

-- hide signature --
 roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Nik Silver Efex Pro Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow